There are plenty of people that have already broken their resolutions, and I even know a faction of friends that make a serious number of resolutions for each area of their lives. (Talk about serious achievers.) But I haven’t had luck with either of these tactics as things then to fall off the rails as soon as mid-January occurs.
So instead I am making list of things I wish to accomplish this year, not just generic ideas that could come or go. Something I can measure. After all, that what teachers do right? We measure to assess progress, and then adjust. And so…
Things I will do in 2016
- learn 1 new flashy cello piece
- re-learn 1 old piano piece (from back in the day, which was a Wednesday)
- spend 1 night each week being a homebody, doing whatever makes me happy
- discover 1 new favorite cocktail
- send 1 encouragement to someone each month
- take 1 picture each day that I am proud of
- go on 1 vacation (at least)
- update 1 medium thing in my house
After putting this down in writing, I am noticing that it is just 1 thing. Aiming for 1 thing seems small and doable, right? It even seems to even out, as 1 big cello piece kind of equals 1 focused moment each day (sort of…) so it also doesn’t feel like cheating.
What will you plan this year?