There are tons of great cellists out there, so don’t settle for watching/practicing with anything less! I recommend:
- Pablo Casals – one of the ultimates.
- Pierre Fournier – such a crisp player, and has a great edition for the Bach Suites.
- Raya Garbousova – I love how she didn’t just play the traditional rep.
- Zara Nelsova – student of Casals and a delightfully aggressive player
- Janos Starker – has lovely left hand technique
- Mstislav Rostropovich – a beautiful cello player/composer playing the works of another incredible cellist, Boccherini
- Jaqueline Du Pre – expressive player, and I love how this short clip gives you the view of what a cellist looks like from the back!
- Julian Lloyd Webber – this was an inspiration clip when I was a little one – Paganini to a 90’s rock orchestra? Yep.
- Yo-yo Ma – enough said.
- Mike Block – current cellist that enjoys experimenting with anything from folk music to Indian tabla duets
Need a cello or repair?
- Amesquita Violins is run by Cy Amesquita and he enjoys truly making your instrument your own by fitting you as an individual.
- Sarah Gray Restoration (now at the beautiful Flatiron building) does a fabulous job with any repairs or adjustments for string instruments.
- The Violin Shop in Lincoln, NE has been one of my favorite shops since a youngster. Be sure to ask for Chris Jacoby!
- Nielsen Violin Shop is downtown and has been an Omaha family business for generations!
Out of State:
- KC Strings gives great customer service if you are in the mood to drive to Kansas City. Cello selection is great!
- Purchasing or Renting online? visit Southwest Strings, Johnson Strings, Robertson and Sons Violins, and Shar.
Looking for music?
- Local music stores of Omaha include Dietz Music (130th and Center) and Schmitt Music (74th and Dodge) have a great selection but also can order just about anything.
- IMSLP.org is a wonderful online library for FREE (public domain) pieces for all kinds of classical music.
- There are a few online sites that have available sheet music for cello and ensembles, but I cannot vouch for copyright legalities (be forewarned) :
Fred Parry’s website – tons of free pdf’s for book 3+
8 notes – has free gif’s but to get pdf’s you need to subscribe
Capotasto Music – simple songs for beginning cellists